Saturday, January 24, 2009

#4 The Fairy Godmother - Mercedes Lackey

This was my very first time reading a book by this author, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I liked what I read in the synopsis on the back of the book, so I started reading. Turns out I really liked the book. Lackey is a good writer, very imaginative and detailed in her story-telling. I had a very good movie playing in my head the whole time I was reading, which is a great sign.
I really like fairy tales, a lot. Mercedes Lackey managed to incorporate just about all of the major ones, so I really enjoyed this book. There was also a really good romance element to the story, that I really liked also. There was one passage that I thought was particularly intriguing, mostly due to the subject matter being so similar to real life at the time it was written (2004). There were strong allusions to the political environment of the Bush years, and I was impressed.
I would definitely suggest this book to anyone looking for a good fairy tale.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like a good book. I also never read Lackey but now maybe I'll challenge myself to do that :-)

    ReplyDelete