Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

It took me about a week and half to two weeks to finish this one, entirely due to the fact that I didn't stay home all the time and read, and I work, so the opportunity to just sit and read for hours was not there. Nevertheless, I LOVED it. Not surprising, cause it was partially written by Neil Gaiman, but it was an excellently done novel about angels, demons, good, evil, and the Antichrist.
I consider myself an agnostic, but I'm always interested when people write about religion and religious traditions, especially when certain writers do it. The jokes are so funny I started laughing out loud while I read them in my car sitting in traffic. Snarky religious humor gets me every time.
So, this novel is about Armageddon and the things that get messed up while trying to bring it to pass correctly. The Antichrist gets switched with another newborn, but goes to the wrong family, and he gets lost for those first 11 years of his life. Thats really the only thing that goes wrong, but thats a pretty big mistake, so it has big consequences.
I love the character Aziraphale and Crowley, and their friendship. Its very unique and hilarious, especially when they have to ask one another who did what to the human race, like parking tickets, and why it was a good/bad idea. And the footnotes; these are some of the best I've ever seen, and I've read quite a few books with footnotes. These are so perfect, like the added verses on a Bible passage that is really a conversation between God and Aziraphale on the subject of misplacing the Flaming Sword. Excellent. Read it!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favourite books ever! It had me in stitches! A combination of my two favourite authors! It is really funny on audio book too!
    hugs, Bethxx (Scattie)

    ReplyDelete